We are big fish eaters. Our weekly menu has Fish at least thrice. We have the buds for fish and eventually our little toddler girl made it her favorite too. I remember, the very next day after landing in Auckland, Ste bought home a salmon fillet. It was the first time, I was seeing salmon. I had no clue. It was bright and orange-red colored. At first, I thought it was a meat. I saw the skin and then believed it as a fish. That day, I somehow managed to cook it as the same way we used to cook fish back home in south India. We like the taste like never before. After a year of cooking, tasting and trying different methods here I am to present the simplest answer for the most asked question, how to cook salmon in the oven?
There is no best method in cooking Salmon. Salmon is a soft fleshy flavorful fish which can be cooked quickly in any medium like grill, pan, oven, smoke etc.. Out of these, I really feel the best and easy way to cook Salmon is to cook it in oven.
Why I prefer Oven over Pan to cook salmon?
- We need more oil for pan fry but in oven it is not. You can even cook without oil.
- Pan fry would end up leaving the fillets dry and hard on the outside. But in oven, you will get a juicy soft texture without any effort.
- While cooking in pan you might break the fillets into pieces when turning the fillet but in Oven you don’t need to touch it unless for eating. You get the perfect shape for the plate from oven.
- There are chances for burning the fillets in pan while it is not in the oven.
- Cooking salmon in the oven can save your time than pan frying salmon.
How to marinate Salmon fillets?
Marinating Salmon is quite easy too. The basic marinating ingredients are pepper, salt, lemon and oil/butter (Herbs like coriander are optional)…Lemon is essential to enhance the salmon fillets flavor.
- If you want the fillets dry roasted in oven, then pat dry the fish with a tissue before marinating. Then drizzle oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice and cook it in a tray without closing the pan with foil and not wrapping the salmon fillets with foil.
- If you want the cooked juice, you will have to cook it closing the pan with a foil.
- One more special tip is, to split it(not cutting) between and marinating. This way the seasoning fills the flavor inside flesh (all over) or just use a skewer/toothpick to prick here and there before marinating so that the juice gets inside and it makes the marination perfect. If you use any of these methods to marinate, you don’t need to keep it refrigerated for hours. Just season it and throw into the oven and your super moist cooked salmon fillets will be ready in 15 minutes.
How long does salmon take to cook in the oven?
At 200ºC, Salmon gets cooked within 15 mins. It depends with the thickness of the fillet. Any medium-sized fillet would get cooked from 12 to 15 mins anyway.
Baking Salmon fillets – to wrap or not to wrap in foil
With foil wraps, the moisture and the flavor is kept inside within wraps. Without foil, baking is same but moisture is not retained as like any other dish you cook. I don’t do it either way. I use foil but I don’t wrap the fish with. I do it other way. I grease the pan and keep the marinated fish inside and then cover the pan and not packing fish inside the foil. So, I get the juice and the moist as I like it.
How to cook Salmon in the oven – Below is the Method
- Butter / olive oil to drizzle
- salt and pepper
- 1 salmon fillet (300g) with skin
- Juice of ½ lemon (medium sized)
- Any herb of your choice (I used coriander stems)
- First, preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- In the mean time, removes scales and pin bones from the fillet. Clean it gently with running water.
- Split the fillets or prick it with skewer here and there. Don't cut the fillets or over prick it as it will damage their shape.
- Prepare a baking pan by rubbing it with butter (greasing)place the fillet inside with skin facing up and season it with salt, pepper, butter/oil and lemon juice. The splits between make them easy to get flavored evenly.
- Cook for about 15 mins. Take it from the oven and transfer it on to the plates. Drizzle it with the cooked juice and serve hot. You will be praised.
What’s your favorite method of cooking salmon?
How do you cook salmon?
Share your recipes on the comments below!